Maintaining Solid Surface
Looked after correctly any Solid Surface item you have produced should last you a very long time.
BSF are proud that all items produced by us are backed by a 10-year limited warranty. However, on a general day to day basis there are some easy Do’s and Don’ts to follow in ensuring your item maintains its lustre and appearance.
- Clean the surface regularly using a microfiber cloth and household kitchen cleaning spray
- Wipe up spills when they occur, wherever possible
- Use Viakal gel to prevent discolouring caused by exposure to hard water.
- Apply household cleaner to a Solid Surface sink overnight each week to prevent the build-up of grease.
- Occasionally use Barkeeper’s Friend with clean microfiber cloths to re-lustre and protect your surfaces
- Use the right cleaning product / method for the right spill:
- Tea, coffee, juice, vinegar, dyes, pollen, spices, ink, blood, wine and mildew: apply a mild abrasive cleaning product and wipe with a microfiber cloth (bar very dark / high gloss surfaces)
- Oil, fat and grease: dilute a very small amount bleach, rub with a microfiber cloth, rinse with warm water afterwards
- Minerals, limescale and hard water: use a general limescale remover or vinegar with a microfiber cloth and leave for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Chemical spills: should be washed away immediately with warm soapy water
- Nail varnish: use a non-acetone nail varnish remover and rub over the affected area, and rinse several times after with warm water
- Place hot objects, such as those from the oven, hot pan, or so forth, directly onto the solid surface. This could cause shock, cracks, or even heat marks on your surface. Always use something such as chopping board, hot bars, heat resistant pad.
- Use the surface as a chopping board! Whilst Solid Surface is strong, resilient, germ resistant, it can be scratched by sharp objects – same as any other surface or stone. On certain colours / finishes this will be quite noticeable. On others these marks, over time, can get darker due to general dirt / grime getting into the area.
- Have an instant hot water tap installed if you have a Solid Surface sink. Solid Surface is heat resistant, however constant exposure to high-heat / boiling water can cause damage
- Use a very abrasive pad or very coarse wire wool to clean your surfaces. All customers receive a special aftercare guide which outlines some of the key items you should purchase to keep your surface in good order.
- Panic or Stress! Should the very worst happen to your Solid Surface; should there be accidental damage BSF can assist with repairing your items! This is one of the major benefits of Solid Surface over other stone-based or laminate materials
The general principles of maintaining your item is the same across most brands of Solid Surface. BSF have produced a couple of guides which may assist you keeping your surfaces in top condition for years to come!
However, for “brand specific” Care & Maintenance guides please click on the one associated for each make below.
Contact Us / Quick Enquiry
To get a Price or Request and Estimate please select the bottom Pink icon from the sidebar to your right. To request samples please select the Green icon
© BSF Solid Surfaces Ltd 2020. All Rights Reserved. BSF Solid Surfaces Ltd, 22 Tallon Road, Hutton, Brentwood, Essex CM13 1TJ